Saturday, December 22, 2018

Superstars Present: The Benefits of Term-End Performance


                   cover photo, Image may contain: one or more people

     The usual last meeting of a college class looks like a torture chamber: Students sit, as if trapped in the clutches of desk seats; they are forbidden, as prisoners are, to contact each other, or to touch; they hover over blue books, moiling away at tests; only when they are finished are they granted parole. Most look miserable, some panicky, others resigned.  A-students might be the most desperate of all, on a rescue mission for their perfect GPA. Some students are devising escape plans, finding ways to access answers through cleverly disguised hard-copy or digital cheat sheets.  One by one, students hand in their tests to the teacher enthroned at the front of the room—a teacher who is dreading the process of grading. Once surrendering their tests, the students hook in their earbuds, pull out their phones, and either bolt or slink away. After a whole semester of meeting the same teacher and students, this is indeed a sad way to cap what is supposed to be an educational adventure. It’s symptomatic of assessment-focused courses where passing the test— and not learning something memorable and enriching—is the point.  No wonder students rarely remember so much as the name of their instructors, once the ordeal of the final exam is over.

           About 30 years ago, I started to produce term-end opportunities for students to showcase their semester’s work for an audience limited to their classmates. In those first performances, students would sidle up to the front of the room, read off the page, and scurry back to seats—still the final exam get-it-over-with mode.  But they weren’t trapped in pockets of misery, as they would be with tests.  Everyone applauded appreciatively, and there was a mood of celebration.

            When retailers can’t sell an item at a certain price, they raise the price. So I ramped up the scope of these performances.  I found a public space, sometimes off campus, where students would be performing for family, friends, and the public.  Now the stakes were higher—and illustrated that what they learned and accomplished in class was part of the larger world; that, in short, it mattered.  We rehearsed in class, students memorized their work, some surprised us with antics to enhance their work.  One student jumped up on a desk and rode it like a surfboard while he recited his poem about ocean adventures.  Some students employed friends not in the class to perform with them—playing a guitar or, really, a tuba; enacting a night scene from The Great Gatsby with flashlights; dancing an interpretation of an Emily Dickinson poem, while another played the flute. Four women dressed up as witches to interview Macbeth on The View.

            We all need to be seen.  We all need some public project to realize ourselves.  We all need to be creative and to show off.  We all need a sense of ritual and closure to mark literally, stages in our lives—such as the end of a semester’s work. Somehow that’s supposed to stop in a “serious college class.”  But, as physician and writer Alfred Mercier once said, “What we learn with pleasure, we never forget.”

            Over the years, I have expanded the scope of these performances.  Now, all of my classes for the semester meet in a school auditorium to regale each other.  “They’re your cousins,” I tell them, “through me.  They’re looking forward to meeting you.” I limit each student to two minutes of performance time, which accumulates if they present with others—six minutes, say, for three students.  I ask only that they stay for about twenty minutes to support each other—although many students come early and stay to enjoy the last student up. Each class devises a special cheer for itself, which the whole audience learns and delivers with each new performer from that class (often with hand motions): “Land the Helicopter,” “Not now: I’m meditating,” “Quack! Quack! Take me back!”  All in-groupy kinds of phrases that capture something essential and intimate about a family of students in a class. And the main objective of the performance, I tell them, is to show others how valuable/fun/enriching their learning experience has and continues to be.  “Inspire others to read Shakespeare,” I say, “Inspire others to write their own poetry.”

In our most recent Superstar Performance, Mali and Matt, reinterpreted the roles of Helena and Demetrius from A Midsummer Night’s Dream.  In a memorable performance, Mali and Matthew re-enacted a memorized scene in which, despite Demetrius’s repeated verbal abuse of her, Helena persists in pursuing him. Mali wore a dog’s collar, gave Matt a whip and paddle to use on her, and then handcuffs.  No one of us will ever forget their interpretation, nor the fun we had laughing through their antics.  Nor will they forget Willy’s stunning dance interpretation of Hamlet’s “To be or not to be” soliloquy (while Lisa from another class held up a phone to the microphone, so we could hear Michael York’s recitation of the speech.


Term-end performances or presentations can be produced for all disciplines and departments. We learn best what we teach, and preparing for a performance helps students to better learn subject matter.  They won’t forget the opportunity to acknowledge their courage and creativity in putting themselves forth.  Nor will they forget the crucial message that these performances embody—that the word “education” derives from the Latin for ‘being lead out of darkness.’  That education should move us forward and out of our Platonic caves.   If you’re going to be a Superstar, you’ve got to show up and show off to others.  Tell us about your Superstars Present experience!

                         Image result for superstar students                                 












12 comments:

  1. Dear Dr. Rich, What an experience!! I spent several weeks thinking about what would I do, how will I have the heart to stand up in front of people, I was so nervous. Once I decided on what I was going to do, I kept thinking how to make it special, when our class on props came to mind. Since my scene had a ring involved I took cardboard and printed a ring (hand size lol) my 12 year old daughter helped me, I colored it and used it as my prop. I made it big so the audience would be able to see it. What would I talk about? well that was solved when I saw my audience, yes, why not make it a guessing game? So right after I said my lines I asked "who am I?" and "what play?" and everything sailed smoothly. My nerves calmed and I was enjoying being on stage (minus the lights, I didnt like the lights lol) This unorthodox way of teaching is what will stay with me from our class the most. I want to be that teacher, the one that does the unexpected, the one that keeps the student's minds turning. I enjoyed seeing my classmates and the students from other classes perform. There was a sense of camaraderie we would have never felt taking finals. Thank you Dr. Rich for offering this to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivonne! You were brilliant all semester--so open to learning and experimenting. Your insights were both wise and playful. I hope you come to more of my classes. If not, I will miss you! Thank you for you!

      Delete
  2. Axis Fund Capital Offer Loans AT 3% INTEREST RATE FOR BUSINESS AND PERSONAL LOANS,
    Get funded today. Contact us at +1(470) 575-1336 (SMS ALLOWED) Get a loan within72hours without delay.

    Good day US citizens I'm Alvado i base in Chicago and i want bring to your notice that you should be careful out there when you are trying to get a loan from Online lenders and secondly you need to be aware that only few companies online are real and legitimate. I have been in financial debts for 8 months and lost over $28000 trying to get a loan i wasn't really concerned about paying fees all i wanted was to get a loan and finalize my business again because i was far behind. Here comes a good news for everyone there is a real loan company who gives out loans for 3% interest rate and when you get a notification from the company that your loan has been approved be rest assured that you are getting your loan and its 100% guarantee. The Good news is no Credit Checks, No collateral and also even with a low credit score you can still get loan, you can approved within 48hrs if you are serious about the loan as well because they will need your correct information to approve your loan. I got a loan of $170000 and have started repaying the loan already because finally i got my business back. Contact me if have any question so good luck everyone. God Bless you.

    Email Address: Email: AXISFUNDCAPITAL@GMAIL.COM
    Company Name: Axis Fund Capital
    Call Or Text: +1(470) 575-1336
    Lenox Rd, Atlanta, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will make sure no one uses your service, as you are a disrespectful of other people's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the first day of class when Dr. Rich expressed to the class that the day after our last class we have to do a reading in front of other students my heart dropped. My heart didn’t drop because I think my work is bad but because I don’t like reading in front of other people. Students in my class I’m okay with that but a bunch of people I don’t know is dreadful. I’m sure there is a benefit in doing this but I’m not a fan of public speaking. Of course I know that noone is there to judge me but I just get nervous and my voice shakes the whole time. This should be very interesting when that day comes. Just thinking and writing about it gave me a headache, how am I nervous already when it’s two months away.
    Now as I write my story I’m keeping my audience in mind because I know I have to read in front of a group of people not just my professor reading my paper and grading it. I decided to be open minded about this experience, how bad can two minutes be? I just pray that this doesn’t feel like the longest two minutes ever. It baffles me because I am very outspoken but have a hard time speaking out in front of large groups of people. I tend to become sick that day and can’t shake the feeling of being hot all day with my heart pumping out of my chest. All in all I see this will be an experience for me there’s a first time for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a firm believer that presentations are much more beneficial than taking a test or an exam. Why be scared to talk in front of others if they have to talk also? Why be scared in general? I was never the type to be nervous or shaky when having to present to the class. However, if it was something that I had to remember, then in that case I would be nervous of messing up, but never scared to stand up and just do it! The way that I look at presenting is another opportunity to practice public speaking. If you can speak publicly and confidently, then you can speak at a job interview confidently, as well. I am very glad to have the opportunity of speaking in front of an audience one last time in undergrad, rather than sitting in class sick to my stomach over having to take an exam.
    When Dr. Rich announced to us on the first day that we would be presenting 2-3 minutes of our manuscripts to her other classes, I was okay with that. However, I knew that the story that I am currently writing, might not necessarily intrigue this audience, as it would excite myself. At the end of the day, everyone has their own preference. You may not enjoy what others write, but keep in mind that they do. This event will be exciting and entertaining, therefore, I don’t think anyone should be at all nervous. The work that we do in class, will forever be rough drafts. You can tweek a paper for years and years and it will never be finished to you. As i’m sure, Dr. Rich can agree with that! With that being said, I know my writing will never be done, and some may question it. I will still gladly stand up, and read what I have been passionately working on for four months now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Throughout my college experience the last day of class I am always filled with multiple emotions such as relief that the semester is over, the thought of why the last day of class is mandatory and the feeling of uneasiness of not knowing what my final grade is for the course. Being that this is my last semester at Kean University I am feeling these different emotions to the second power.
    As a person I know for a fact that I lack creativity skills so I am EXTREMELY nervous for the recital this week. In my Shakespeare survey course I am encouraged to step out of my comfort zone and try something different in my writing. I am also encouraged to allow my creativity to flow. As a person, I make it a habit of staying to myself and staying FAR from the spotlight. This experience is going to be very different for me. One thing I have learned in this course is that whatever you do make it your own. While reading Shakespeare we focused as a class more on what we received through the reading rather than trying to interpret what the writer “meant” for us to receive. Keeping this in mind while performing at the recital, I know I will make my performance my own. Though I am sure I may mess up due to nervousness, I hope to look past my mistake and realize that through my work those in the audience will be perceiving what I am doing in different manners, no one will be thinking “what did she mean by that?” or “ I wonder if she meant to say or do that,” instead everyone will be focused on how and what they interpreted through the language of my body and the words that I speak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be honest and state that I was annoyed when I read the syllabus and noticed that I had to partake in a recital with all of your Shakespeare courses. I am not of fan of presentations as I am never confident in myself as I do not enjoy speaking in front of individuals. If there are a group of individuals that I have never met I will automictically become nervous and want to end the presentation. When speaking in front of others I am often afraid to make eye contact with the class and my eyes shift towards the back of the classroom where no one is sitting. This nervousness also prevents me from articulating my words as I speak fast, therefore, the presentation will end faster. Now that the semester is coming to an end, I am still nervous about the recital, but I believe you want to see us, the students, try and have fun with the performance. Due to this, I will aim to think creatively and attempt think outside of the box. Bringing props for the recital would even be a step from what I would normally do. I plan to work with a partner, Brittiney, and recite a scene from either A Midsummer Night’s Dream or King Lear as those were two of my favorite plays that were discussed in class. Overall, I believe this recital will allow me to step outside of my comfort zone while also preparing me to speak in front of others as I will be a future educator.

    Bailey Vick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Dr. Rich,
    I have so many great things I want to share about the recital that we get assigned at the end of the semester. For the first time, I saw that I was required to perform at a recital at the end of the class when I took Shakespeare back during fall semester 2018. When I read this assignment at the syllabus, I got really scared. The reason is that I do not enjoy performing in front of an audience; even if they are my classmates. More importantly, I had no idea what I was going to do for my performance. This recital made me over think a lot. But I later discovered that I was extremely wrong. I actually ended up really enjoying the recital. It felt like I was involved with the things that I had actually learned and enjoyed. Moreover, I had preformed the recital with people that later in the semester, they ended up being great friends of mine. All five of us preformed the play Love labor’s lost. It was really nice because we had great props and we had switch in gender roles. I remember I played a man, more precisely, Berowne. I also remember how I convinced my guy friend to dress up as a female. It was an experience that I will never forget. I am really looking forward to perform at the recital for the second time. This time however is for the Emily Dickinson class. Although I will be performing all alone, I am still looking forward for the recital. It will be great for the second time in a row for me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it comes to end of the term, I sit their elated. elated that I'm done with the course and that I'm free from schoolwork for the next few weeks. However, I do sit there anxious as I wait for my final grade. I sit here anxious awaiting today's performance. I sometimes get nervous about public speaking - I don't know why, I talk a lot. I guess it's the "all eyes on me" part. I turn red, i get hot, clumsy, sometimes I stutter over my words, I talk fast, voice low, and walk away quickly. I am happy the schoolwork is done but I am sad this course is over. I have never looked forward to taking a course as much as I did taking this Emily Dickinson course. I know the poem I want to recite, I rehearsed it and I can only hope that it comes out as I practiced and that you accept the way I read it. I probably won't be looking at you while I read it, due to nervousness, so if your disappointed - all the better that I don't notice!

    When I leave the classroom and go home to sort my semesters work I keep some of the things as a reminder of what I learned that was interesting and what I learned that I think is worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Dr. Rich,

    This post caused me to get emotional. I actually started out laughing. The next thing I know, I am crying. Then, I am laughing again, reminiscing on how many memories we made together as a class. Is is true that we were your favorite class? Well, you are most certainly my favorite Shakespearean professor! This semester was great, yet challenging (which is not necessarily negative). It is nice to have a healthy challenge in your life once and a while. I feel that school is challenging yet good exercise for the brain and body - spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Being a superstar is not easy, as it requires physical, mental, and emotional work. I learned the most from your class our of all of my classes this semester. Not only did i learn a lot about Shakespeare, but I learned a lot about myself as well. I learned what i can handle and what I cannot handle at the same time. This is so important (especially when going on to become a teacher) to now yourself and what you are truly capable of. Sometimes, we are not sure about what we are capable of until we are put to the test which is again, another healthy challenge. I would happily take one of your classes again. You make learning such a wonderful and pleasant experience. You truly have a gift, Dr. Rich. You make a difference in students lives for the better, and you will always be remembered as a really great professor. Thank you for a really amazing semester!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get a high dose of performance anxiety. For small things that don’t impact my grade like Talent Shows and Karaoke Nights, I am able to control my anxious feelings. I feel incredibly anxious going up, but afterwards, I feel so much courage and power knowing that I’ve made it past my anxiety and performed, anyway. When I really don’t care about what others think of me and simply perform and let me be myself with no interruptions, I seem to flourish in those moments.

    Unfortunately, with performances that do affect my grade, I can’t control my anxiety. I remember being in my senior capstone class (I took it spring of junior year) and we had to present what we wrote about for a mere 5 minutes (not even). I could not muster up enough courage to go up and perform and was visibly uncomfortable and having a panic attack. My stutter came back, my mouth was dry, my hands were shaking, my heart beating fast, my face tingling, throat closing, and feeling the need to go to the bathroom every few minutes even though I couldn’t release. Thankfully, my professor was understanding and knew that I was not faking and he let me go without performing.

    The idea of performing my poems (if you can call it that. Still not completely there) in front of everybody is an incredibly scary thought. Somehow, I don’t feel as threatened or frightened as if I were to present my senior capstone. Part of the reason for this is because I think that our Writing Poetry class has built such a great familial-like bond in just a few months that it’d be riveting and fun to perform our semester-end poems.

    After all of the hard work that we’ve gone through, it’s nice to see the progress we’ve made during that time. I love our class so much it’s crazy. This (the feeling and what we’ve experienced during class) should be what education is about. Prospering and seeing each other grow, being the godparents to each other’s poems. I will cherish the moments we made in class.

    ReplyDelete