Thursday, March 12, 2020

Characters: (2) "By Any Other Name"

                              Image result for by any other name

            Here’s an excerpt from the famous balcony scene of Romeo and Juliet:

                         Juliet

O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Romeo
[Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

Juliet

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,                    
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? That which we call a rose,
By any other name would smell as sweet.
So Romeo would — were he not Romeo called —
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself.

Would a rose by any other name be as sweet? Maybe!

Aptronymologists are those who study how names are appropriate to occupations (apt=appropriate; onym=name; log=reason, study).  They cite many amusing examples of what New Scientist journal named “nominative determinism”—the process by which names can predestine the course of lives. Think of poet William Wordsworth (his worth is in words), undertaker Robert Coffin, and astronaut Sally Ride.  There’s a Dr. Donald Butts who is a proctologist, a pastry chef named Baker (and one named Gunnar Bakk), and a neurologist named Russell Brain.  Sigmund Freud coined and studied “the pleasure principle.”  “Freud” means “pleasure” in German.  Frank Field is a weather reporter.  And Sue Yoo is an American Lawyer.  My student Meagan Mentor is (you guessed it) a teacher!

Exploring literary characters from an aptronymologist’s perspective is fascinating and, to use a Freudian word, uncanny. Let’s look at Romeo and Juliet. Romeo. No sooner does Rosaline (beautiful rose) spurn Romeo, his heart roams to Juliet.  Yes, he is a roamer.  How in love was he with Rosaline if the rebound was so swift?  Was it his heart or pride that was truly injured? Although, as the saying goes, Rome wasn’t built in a day, ironically, for Romeo love has to be instant.  He insists on Juliet’s accepting him although they are both masked and know nothing about each other.

Rome is a embedded in Romeo’s name.  Rome was named after Romulus who vied with and killed his twin brother, Remus, to found the city.  This source is played out in the fight scene in which Mercutio, Romeo’s close friend, is murdered in the battle with the Capulets. 

Montague means “pointed hill,” reminiscent of a dunce cap—a word that came into common use during Shakespeare’s life—and is a Protestant slur on the Catholic philosopher John Duns Scotus.  We could interpret Romeo’s character as being that of a dunce, who spurns social customs that ends up destroying him and his beloved.

Juliet’s name originally meant “downy-bearded youth.”  Given that there were no public female actors in Shakespeare’s productions, this root can inspire a Queer Theory reading of the play. Another meaning for Juliet is ‘Jupiter’s child.’  We could interpret her character as that of an imperious princess, and a prototype for Sleeping Beauty—whose family falls asleep (doesn’t see what’s going on right in the home).  Or consider that Juliet has ‘Jewel’ as its first syllabus.  What is a jewel?  What kind is Juliet?  How does her character evoke the sparkle and hardness of a gem?

Capulet means “small cap.”  Paired with Montagues pointed hill, we can interpret the play as being not so much a story of love—or even lust—but adolescent rebellion against the common social structure.

In response to Juliet’s question, we can say that much lies in a name—beware the pointed mountain—it’ll be all downhill from your perch on that balcony.

Report here about your own names (both family and given), and do some research on name origins. Are they eerily appropriate to your life? Report on the nominative determinism of the names of others you know or about whom you have read. In your next literary essay, be an aptronymologist and do your character studies and interpretations base on names, their etymologies, embeddings, and related stories.

In the post entitled “Playing Literature Like Music: (2) Sound Frequencies,” we will see that not only the dictionary, etymological, and allusionary meanings of names, but their sounds, also play a profound part in whether the rose smells as sweet.


© Susanna Rich, 2020



Cover Art:

Texts:

Nims, John Frederick, and David Mason.  Western Wind. 5th ed. New York: McGraw, 2000.

Shakespeare, William.  Romeo and Juliet. (2.2.33-49a)

Shakespeare Concordance. http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/




Because I Can Teach:




6 comments:

  1. Dr. Rich,

    You have done it again. My mind was blown with all the references of names to their occupations. I also liked the analysis of Romeo being a “roamer” because since high school, some even middle school, we have seen Romeo and Juliet as this romantic tragic love story. When you put it in the perspective of him moving on so quickly. I took this as the “jewel” (Juliet) being worth more or appreciated more than a “rose” (Rosaline) which is why it was a quick decision for him. I do believe that the Romeo and Juliet story has a lot to do with adolescence rebellion and comparing the meaning of the last names has helped with that. I also feel like it broke the social structure and that the families were more focused on that than anything. I do not believe your name will guide your life's direction or occupation, but I do think it is interesting that sometimes it does. I think that it was more common years ago that someone’s surname also fit their occupation. Nowadays, people name their children after everything under the sun (Blue, West, Apple, etc.) However, I do think that it can be beneficial, especially when reading older works, to analyze the names of the characters because it may give greater insight into who they are.

    -Janaya ENG3215

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it came researching my name, I thought it would not exactly be insightful. After all, the name Matthew translates to gift from God and I doubt that God reached out from the sky to literally give me to my parents. Of course, I know how having a child can be difficult in some cases so the name was thanking God for my safe delivery. After all, my dad used to smoke and my family has health issues on both sides so my health was not something that could be taken for granted. Meanwhile, my last name, Ponte, meant bridge in Portuguese. Besides living in a town named Old Bridge when I was younger, the name does not mean much. While it would be easy to point out all the cases of people whose names and jobs correlation in some way with their names, there are also plenty of cases where no such correlation is had. Not all Bakers work in the food industry and not all Brains work in psychology. Sure having the name of the protagonist of a story foreshadow their names is not a bad idea, especially since stories are the domain of English so working in some etymology seems appropriate. However, people's lives are far more complicated than those of fictional protagonists. Whereas fictional protagonists can have their whole life planned out before them as it is written on the page, real people do not know what life will entail for them. As such, it makes less sense to use a real person's name as a tool for prediction as it may come off as restrictive to them and their free will. Although there is nothing wrong about giving a protagonist a snappy appropriate name that foreshadows their action, in the end a name does not have to foreshadow your life as you make your own choices.

    Matthew Ponte

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Liam Carey.

    I was going to be called Emmett, Addison, or Ian. But a cousin of mine, born a few short months before I was, was named Ian, and I was called Liam instead.

    I have never lamented this. I have always loved my name.

    It's a popular baby name nowadays, but growing up, I've met only one or two others who share it. Having a somewhat unique name helps people to remember you. And this feeling of uniqueness has manifested itself in a number of ways throughout my development as a human. I value individuality. I do not fear going against the grain and embracing unpopular opinions and outside perspectives. And because of these things, I have come to develop a good sense of self and of confidence.

    I've known for all my life that "Liam" is derived from "William", and that it evokes the idea of a guardian with a strong will. A protector. And this rings true as well. I am the eldest of three siblings, a proud role, and one that I will cherish for all my life. I love my brother and sister dearly, and being the first to face the challenges of growing up means that they have someone to look towards for guidance.

    My last name "Carey" is significant as well. My family, both immediate and extended, are all wonderful people with good wills. They seek always to take care of others and extend their good will outwards. I have been told that "Careys care."

    I am not the kind who thinks that names and labels deterimine one's path. But I do think that we can look at these things and find inspiration. And more often than not, we do just that without even realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By any other name, Dr. Rich, I am pleasantly surprised to report; I am the same. The name Valerie defined as an English Baby Names baby name. In English Baby Names, the meaning of the name Valerie is Strong, valiant. Feminine of the Roman family clan name Valerius.

    Shocking revelations reveal how someone having a strong character is a person that does not waver. I could not agree more. From a child into adult aging, I cannot recall one moment where I have faltered in what I stand firm in belief.

    More specifically, relating to a strong character, he or she sets goals and does not give up until they achieve them or decides those goals are not worth it—case in point, Shakespeare Survey. As challenging and difficult the tasks appear, I am determining this course is worth its weight in gold, and will I complete my goal.

    The strong character also means he or she can do things against all adversity and opposition. Bull’s eye! The nail in the coffin. Without sounding unhumbly arrogant, with God’s help, I pride myself upon standing fervent against hardship and adversary.

    Furthermore, nominative determinism is astonishing eerie appropriate to my life. Feminine of the Roman family clan name Valerius was the clan name as Valerius of one of the most prominent families of Roman at the time of Julius Caesar and is believed to originate from the personal name Valere, the original meaning of which was to flourish or be wealthy.

    Well, how about that? To be birthed inside the Ingram family, which is my father’s descent, is an honor as an aptronymologist learning that multiple members of my family, past to present, are and have flourished like the Roman family clan, Valerius.

    This character study, origin words, and historical development of its meaning and embeddings have transformed my knowledge and understanding. Valerie is me by no other name, a person who shows and possesses boldness, courage, and strength of character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The name "Amanda" is of Latin origins. It is the feminine form of the saint's name Amandus, which was derived from the word amare which means "to love." Thus, the name means "worthy of love/of being love." Although it may seem egotistical to claim such a thing about oneself, I do believe in a harboring a sense of self-worth and self-appreciation. Through that, perhaps the love that we are all worthy of, without reservation, is the love that comes from within.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The origin of the name David is "Hebrew." The meaning of the name David translate to the words "beloved," and "uncle." For me the meaning of David being beloved helps prove why everyone I meet say I am very liked. For the meaning of uncle I have never heard of this translation. With this new translation I can see it being something that my family will turn me into an uncle one day. Finding meaning out of the origin of a name is something that can be very inspiring to a lot of people.

    David Rivera, Jr.

    ReplyDelete