Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Classroom Seating: War Zone or Campfire?

Image result for feng shui classroom

            Most classrooms are still organized in military rows of desks riveted toward one focal point at the front of the classroom.  The message is clear: the teacher is the general; the students are the soldiers.  Focus on someone outside of yourself.  Only one face matters.  Lock step. Ten hup (“Attention”). Prepare for The Battle of the Grade.  Comply.  The illusion is that the teacher has more control, thereby.  That she is the performer. The students are the captive audience (captives, indeed). This puts pressure on teacher and students, alike. 

These student desks are, as most military things, of uniform size, as if to say: “To succeed, be like everyone else.  Stay in line. Pull in your arms and legs.”  No matter that students are different sizes, shapes, and handedness.  No matter that evenly spaced desks don’t allow for variations in leg length, cultural sense of social space, redolence of your neighbor: “Shut up and in. Stay put. You are part of a machine. You don’t matter.”

As a teacher, I find the military model intimidating and oppressive. I’m always “on.” The students are pointed at me, like a battery of guns. The military classroom invites students to hide, guerilla style, from me, and to hide behind and from each other.  It allows phone addictions to fester in laps and under pages.  It’s secretive. It’s inhumane and unnatural.  It’s being, literally, boxed in. 

Humans are social creatures.  The most iconic shape religions and businesses use is the circle: it is the sun; it is the campfire around which we gather against the cold and dark.  I’ll never forget how one of my earliest department colleagues sneered at me for putting my students into a circle.  She had a great need to be in charge, she beat her husband, her students hated her, and she didn’t like young upstart professors. Under her red wig, she was a scared novice afraid of change. But I have never abandoned the practice of putting my classes in circles.  And I’m happy that many teachers vary the configuration of desks in their classrooms, too.

Sitting in a circle in a classroom sends the same message as sitting around a campfire.  As the military classroom does, it provides a focal point—but this one is not single-pointed on the teacher—it is shared.  Open spaces in a war zone are dangerous. The space in the center of the circle classroom is our holding, our safe space.  There are many eyes to meet and names to learn. It says Possibility. It says Freedom. It says No one blocks anyone else: We are equally welcome here.  We can see and be seen.  We are social.  We matter.

Once I announce that we will be sitting in a circle, I never have to tell the class again.  When I arrive, sometimes a half hour early to chat with early comers, students have already moved the desks around the periphery of the room.  In classes where I have repeat students, the chairs are already so configured on the first day.  It is meaningful to them.  Except for those who need to not be there, students don’t seek to return to military rows. (As an aside, when students come in late on the first day, their ears all budded in, they will often sit down in the middle of the circle on a stray desk.  Perhaps they enjoy the sacred center. I’m fond of teasing them: “Look around.  What’s happening?”  Oh!)

When we reconfigure for small group work, I first have students stand up.  Otherwise, they prefer to skootch their desks while sitting—“Thigh exercise?” I ask.  Or, “I know you’re old and weak, but…” Finding space away from other groups, they create pods with perfect geometric designs around the front edges of their desks—a triangle for three, a pentagon for five. All equally face a center. For twos, it’s face to face. For fours, it’s a diner table, not a diner booth. 

Yes, my larger desk arrayed with hand-outs, books between book-ends, my singing bowl to bong us in and out (more on that in another post), is still at the front of the class by the board.  But students will often use it for their group work, presentations, enactments.  I freely push it off to the side.  And I walk into the middle of our circle to dance out an iambic pentameter, to actually hand-out hand-outs one at a time, to orchestrate a demonstration by bringing students together in that space.

And if the classroom is small and the registrar has overloaded the course, I push the table away altogether and sit in a classroom desk, myself. That says something, too.

Works Cited:


8 comments:

  1. I agree 110% on the entire military model. As a paraprofessional, I feel that it is completely intimidating to come to my college courses and sit in front of a professor with a shit ton of things on their desk and to have to stare at the professor the entire class. How am I supposed to interact with other students in my class if I can't even see their face? How am I supposed to even know whose sitting behind me. I can't unless I'm sitting up against the wall in the back of the classroom where the professor thinks you're not paying attention. Funny thing is, I'd rather be observant and see everyone in my class then sit in the front of the class and only look at the professor for the entire class. I don't feel any engagement out of rows of desks sitting in front of a teachers "bigger" desk. How is this supposed to help us teach? I love the idea of the big circle similar to a camp fire because it feels cozy and that you're able to talk to anyone directly instead of turning your head around 20 times to see whose talking. It's less commotion when someone is talking and keeps the class feeling warm and friendly.

    Nancy Koster ENG4817

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS BLOG POST! It is so true the teacher has all the eyes on him or her and it is intimidating. I love the campfire feel because we are all learning together and we can have group discussions where we can see everyone and all the pressure isn't on one person. I especially like this when we have to present in front of everyone and it is less scary when it is in a circle and more family like. With more collaboration we learn better from one another and it is much easier to collaborate with each other when we don't have to turn our backs every time we hear someone talking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Totally Agree with this Post it is very militaristic how class rooms are set up and run i always saw it as a factory and students were in rows like a conveyor belt and being molded or manufactured in the way the teacher saw fit.

    - Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hilarious watching my cooperating teacher try and design a layout of the classroom seats that "works" with him and the students. Even as a student-teacher i know that the most effective classroom seating chart is the ol' campfire arrangement.
    having desks in rows, side-by-side is boring, not effective...and yeah, totally militaristic.
    With the campfire method, students have an easier time talking and distributing information to one another. The best part is that they are forced to do this, no matter what. They are forced out of their comfort zone for a little bit, which is totally okay! With this experience, they will be able to become better speakers, and they will not be afraid to share whatever opinions they have on whatever matter. As long as they remain respectful towards one another, and as long as the students do not share any triggering information, then all should be good. The campfire method is simple, yet effective, because everyone can speak to each other with direct eye contact, and everyone can listen well to one another. The militaristic designs are very limiting, and do not promote student learning and engagement with others whatsoever. You might as well be talking to a brick wall.
    Not only is the campfire arrangement good for student learning, but it is also good for the teacher. I would be able to go right in the middle of the campfire and easily jump from section to section, or student to student, and help with whatever they need assistance in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dr. Rich,

    This post transported me back to high school...I remember sitting in classrooms (all of my classes) arranged in military style and denied from speaking to my classmates. It was even harder for me to interact with other students, especially when I sat in the front row. I always felt as though I was forced towards the teacher and had to speak, question, and/or participate for one person in power. This chained any students from giving each other insight, feedback and questions/comments which I believe hinders learning. Albert Bendura believed in social learning and that students learn best from their peers. This was never the case until I began college and interactive and circle seating was introduced but only applied by some professors. I noticed the different tone and ambiance of the environment by comparing both styles and realized I appreciated half a circle or circle seating more than the rows. This is because you are absolutely right, when I sat in rows I was prone to hide behind the person in front of me or use them as a blocking tool so that I may read messages on my phone or doodle when class was uninteresting. However, when I sat in a space where I had visibility to my professor and peers, I gave respect and participated because I felt welcomed and important. I hope that in my future classroom, I am able to obtain good classroom management while still letting go of some control in regards to seating arrangements. I truly believe that unifying the classroom and also providing flexible seating, for students with different needs will optimize learning and engagement. It will also minimize the pressures of having all eyes on me and not giving the opportunity for my students to share any eye-contact. Your method of seating work Dr. Rich, and I have noticed that in every course that I have taken with you, students become brothers and sisters and we all create a family because they are no distractions, we are simply and beautifully able to be humans.

    P.S. that lady with the red hair who laughed at your seating arrangements most likely was unable to get the attention of her students therefore creating a dictatorship in her classroom was her only way. So thank you for arranging seats in a circle because it creates a healthy community and I will adapt your style as a future teacher as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is my thought. No I never went camping and don’t have intentions on going, at least not any time soon. No, I haven’t been in a war zone and I doubt a Pre-K classroom count, especially when they're tired. No, I never assigned seating to my students unless for a particular reason.

    I believe there are different types of teachers.

    The first kind is hired for a position. They need a job and it happens to pay with summer’s off (possibly). Those are the teachers with a blank stare and a mono-tone voice. They amuse themselves and keep a significant distance.

    The second kind doesn’t like children but attempts to prove how much they tolerate them. If they're happy then it’s for a personal gain and very rare associated with the students. They want and probably demand respect but lack the understanding that it’s earned both ways. Their form of discipline is unique in the sense, it is usually by the book rather than investing time into the situation.

    The third type is a natural. You may or may not be a teacher but children/students/adults flock to your personality because you’re open, honest and yourself. You don’t focus on teaching as a means of controlling but by what it actually means. A teacher is a person who imparts knowledge or skill. Obviously googles definition stinks but the point is, a teacher is a mentor. A mentor is a wise, trusted counselor or influential senior supporter. This trait can be gained through experiences and truth. You focus more on the students and learning together. Yes you are in charge but you are aware that it is not a badge of honour.

    A real teacher gets involved with the class and doesn’t separate themselves. If the students dig in the dirt then so are you. You show appreciation and want every student to feel equal with you and their peers. You choose to arrange the classroom like a round table for respectful view, shared similar voice platform. The eye contact is real. Comfort is extendable. You create an atmosphere that a campfire creates. Kumbaya!


    Meagan AWP 5000

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog's organisation and formatting, along with your writing skills, have greatly amazed me. Is that a custom topic you made, or was it something you purchased? Anyway, keep up the excellent writing; these days it's hard to see a great website like this one.https://weboistic.com.au/

    ReplyDelete