Thursday, May 23, 2019

Poetry Matters to History

Image result for poetry matters
           On May 16, 2019, 25 teachers and community leaders met at William Paterson University in New Jersey to plan how to incorporate into classes and programs the 2020 centenary celebration of women’s suffrage in the United States.  The conference organizers, presenters, and participants were mostly history professors and teachers, with a few exceptions: next to me was the program director for The Girl Scouts. A museum curator for the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society and the Communications Officer for the NJ Historical Commission told us about their resources. Across the room was the other English teacher. After Lucia McMahon offered us illuminating slides and historical perspectives on “The Movement is a Sort of Mosaic: A History of Women’s Suffrage,” we formed small groups to create “Lessons and Activities.” This first paragraph is written as a traditional historian would report on an event—numbers, dates, places, actions, ideas, temporal sequences, causal links.  Aside from my mentioning where The Girl Scouts director sat, there is little sense of the felt experience of being there or why it mattered. 

What is missing in my report is the human element—that the only person of African descent ate his lunch alone, while the youngest woman, blond hair streaming down her back, sat with three male admirers; that although the room was cold, the horseshoe arrangement of the tables invited a sense of inclusion; that the Skyped conversation with Margaret Crocco from Michigan State University so angled and enlarged her face that I felt both intimidated and cared for.  This paragraph is written more from a poet’s perspective—images, immediacy, feelings, emotions, paradox.  This is something discussed in such blog posts as Left Brain/Right Brain and Landingthe Helicopter.

Significant differences between a History and an English class became apparent to me when I met with my small group—three high school History teachers, one English professor.  We agreed that it would be inspiring for students to consider the question of what factors should determine who should vote.  To contextualize, we would ask the question of whether 16-year-olds should be given the vote. This would provide perspective on and a debate prompt for what the purported reasons were for denying women the vote.  But many of their students were from non-documented families, often impoverished, with English as a Second Language. 

And, as often happens when teachers meet for the first time, the conversation drifted toward the constraints of contemporary educational institutions—their classes were only 40 minutes long; their lesson plans had to have clear parameters and digitalized assessment outcomes; students were apathetic and there were behavioral problems; classes were overloaded at 30-35. I asked my group about student demographics, to see if we could reach students through what I realized was an English teacher’s strategy.  Why not, for example, have students discuss what it means to be non-documented—and put it in the hypothetical for anonymity’s sake—what it might mean to have no say in what affects their lives.  In my classes, I would further analogize to the politics of classroom dynamics: “How much of a vote do you have in university policies?”

No. No. No. All the constraints.  Can’t do that. They won’t learn the historical facts.  There’s no time in the curriculum.  They won’t open up.  There was little time for us to pursue this conversation, but I was very grateful for our time together.  I appreciated the astute historical questions they raised, the perspectives, the focus and precision with which they pursued historical documents and causal connections.  If I had had time, I would have convinced them of the importance of a poetic, English teacher’s perspective in studying history.

Facts and experience.  Ideas and emotions.  Mind and body.  I write historical poetry—a genre both akin to and significantly different from historical fiction.  In my series and one-woman performance of ashes, ashes: A Poet Responds to the Holocaust, I present poems from the points of view of 15 different persons in response to the historical events.  I link these poems with reflections on how poetry matters to the study of history:

(1)   As John F. Kennedy said on the inauguration of the Robert Frost Library at Amherst College, “When politics corrupts, poetry cleanses.”  How?

(2)   Poetry shows us that the political IS personal.  Instead of the broad sweeps of events during a war, let’s consider what it felt like to have to strip naked in front of hostile strangers in a death camp.  Because

(3)   poetry is a lyrical script for the body.  Our ethnic, racial, gender, age, physical, and other differences are superficial. What we all experience—such as thirst, hunger, desire, fear—is in the human body.  Poetry is, at its core, bodily images.  Instead of
reports of how many days a prisoner was on hunger strike, embody, in words, the
burn of bile and acid as the tube is pulled back through a nostril.  And so,

(4)   poetry brings us back, literally, to our senses. It wakes us up!  Humans only vote for themselves (and reflections, thereof). I imagine a student slunk in a back row fingering his phone.  Then she hears something that touches her Wait! What! That’s like me.  I’ve got her attention;

(5)   poetry asserts the experience of the individual, which, paradoxically, affirms the universal.  Yes, there are atrocious skinheads rampaging in the United States.  Let’s listen, through poetry, to the vitriol of his sounds and rhythms as he speaks.

(6)   Poetry offers us an antidote to what William Blake calls “mathematical things.”
Our speaker, a brilliant historian and teacher, couldn’t remember some dates of events. And no one cared.  It is a cliché of history classes that students are bored with dates, and find that remembering them for tests is a punishment.  None of us
wants to be reduced to an ID #.  Here’s the experience, through poetry, of how a woman feels washing her arm where the Nazis tattooed numbers, numb-ers.
  
(7)   Poetry teaches us imagination, and this, in itself, is important if we are to avoid repeating the mistakes of our past. Graham Greene said, “Hatred is a failure of imagination.”

(8)   Poetry asks question:  How would You feel if?

(9)   Poetry speaks the unspeakable. Poetry tells the truth. Poetry keeps us from going numb to defend against horrors, because

(10)         Poetry provides a structure, a space, a container for difficult experiences so that we don’t numb out, so that we remain awake…  It offers the beauty of form, the music of words, the predictability of form—it is brief and compressed enough so we can abide.


               At its core, history is a process of preservation—of the past, the present, and the future. History gives us a sense of belonging and hope. We study history in order to build and evolve.  We study history, in Elie Weisel’s words: “Lest we forget.”  Tyrants burn books.  They assassinate poets before sculptors.  In Afghanistan, today, if a young woman is discovered writing poetry, her family murders her—an honor killing.  In our English classes, let us promote precise study of historical documents, artifacts, and ideas.  In our History classes, let us promote feeling, personal engagement, embodied experience, and the empathy that poetry uniquely inspires.  In both, let how we teach model what we most passionately want for our
students.


            My greatest proof that poetry matters to history is that audience members often come up to me after my performance of ashes, ashes to tell me that although they have studied the Holocaust, some extensively, hearing the poetry they finally get it.

Works Cited

Cover Art: https://www.facebook.com/poetrymattersproject/


Supporting Blog Posts

                  Landing the Helicopter

                  Left Brain/Right Brain

9 comments:

  1. Nice article admin thanks for share your atricle keep share your knowledge i am waiting for your new post check mens winter jackets polo shirts kindly review and reply me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do think English and History go more hand-in-hand with each other than most people realize. Both want to know what has happened in the past and why, along with the fact that they want to document those historic moments, and how they impacted lives. Even talking to students at Kean with history education majors I relate to them a lot because they too care so much about being a humanitarian, caring about the wellbeing of others and fighting for what is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never looked at history like this before. Throughout the years of history it has not changed nearly enough. The reason it stayed the same was because of politicians. There is a saying that goes, “if you don’t learn history you are bound to repeat it”. This is true with the world now. There has been many wars where people wanted to take over countries, gun violence and discrimation. By fixing what we all disagree on will only make things better. The only problem with this theory is that not everyone will agree there is a problem. A good way to do that is by using art. Weather that is poetry, paintings or short stories. Since we are in the age where presidents could say whatever they want online and cops kill people that they should be protecting we as a people need a safe space. I do not think it is right how women in Afghanistan can not write poems. Everyone should be able to express themselves anyway they want.

    Kiera Jones
    Eng*3500*01

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poetry is a form of history of the arts of its beauty and talent. It’s a shame that most schools don’t see the creative art such as poetry, dance, etc. is a way to express the human body and mind, that shapes us who we are. Some teachers and professors don’t open their eyes to the arts of poetry, that can connect us with other people from the past. The subject of English and History, is all written on each page, reading straight to the point in the stories what occurred. The subjects doesn’t give a feel of who the people were, but in poetry, it give a great sense of people’s experience. For example the Holocaust, “to have to strip naked in front of hostile strangers in a death camp”, we can feel stripping out of clothes, looking around other strangers in fear and tears, surrounded by a prison hell of death. Poetry gives all senses of our sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing. The people who had experience such things, good or bad in life, has given us a sense of emotions, that can excite, depress, and frighten us. They fill us in their shoes through their walk in life. If writing a story essay about myself in the subject of English, would be boring because, it would take too many pages to write. In poetry, it would take short and sweet to the point of all the five sense about myself in a short page or two. Poetry is a connection to everything, for we use metaphors to connect with nature and animals. It is an expression to write and speak how we feel with beauty and creativity. I feel sorry for those who don’t see the greatness in poetry, as they don’t expand their horizon to express like a human. Nothing should take away poetry to deliver its art and magnificence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Never really saw poetry in a historical Context other than in literary history, but like music i feel it is reflective of the time it was written in,but i know understand how important and effective it is to document history and also reflect it.
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are my thoughts on my history:

    Writing poetry was my go-to, growing up. I never realized how much I enjoyed it, until my 10th grade English teacher signed me up for an 11th grade elective and a school award. This was a woman who questioned my every action or word. For her to do a 180 and realize I have potential, was encouraging. When I became a teacher, my writing took a major backseat. It was all about policies, newsletters, conference forms and emails. Then it was educating my students about writing.

    My attitude has changed because I am a chef of my words, per Frank Smith. I have a need to sometimes share what I think and how I feel without overthinking about the results and what others may conclude. I didn’t realize the intensity of my inner expressivist.

    Writing is much more than a mere medium for an observable phenomenon. Instead we discussed the act (the responsibility) of writing itself as an imperative foundation to growing and developing an idea and ourselves.

    Here is a list of skills, I want and need to work on because poetry is encouraging me:

    • Verbal Communication:
    • Time management:
    • Motivation
    • Conflict management:
    • Forgiveness:
    • Team work:

    There are skills that I don’t realize I have but others see within me. It’s usually skills I don’t believe exist, whether academic or otherwise. My goal is to take time and identify them. Once I have, I will add them to my vision as a reminder of my capabilities.

    Expressivism is me, re-inventing an inbounding discovery. I feel if poetry and good teachers can help to motivate and inspire my perception of words, then making that one difference becomes a part of our history and can be easily passed down through time.

    Meagan AWP 5000

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you sir for your genuine spells. This is really incredible, and I have never experienced anything like this in my life. Before i met you Sir, i have tried every possible means that i could to get my wife back, but i actually came to realize that nothing was working out for me, and that my wife had developed lot of hatred for me.. I thought there was no hope to reunite with my ex wife and kids. But when i read good reviews about your work sir, i decided to give it a try and i did everything that you instructed me and i Trusted in you and followed your instructions just as you have guaranteed me in 48 hours, and that was exactly when my wife called me.. We are more contented now than ever. Everything looks perfect and so natural! Thank you so much for your authentic and indisputable spells. Thanks Sir for your help. So I promise to tell the world about you great If you need help in your marriage of broken relationship,please contact Dr Osasu right now for urgent help WhatsApp +2347064365391 or Email drosasu25@gmail. com I want every one who is facing any problem should also give a testimony soon. Just like me today

    ReplyDelete
  8. In early high school, I was never much of a reader. But when it came to history, I was always so fascinated. The way stories developed, and how as an education institution preserves these stories for many years. It wasn’t till later in my highschool career that I started to indulge myself in writing poetry, and decided to help my school establish a Poetry Club. Even at this point, I never was a big fan of reading, or english as a subject. So, reading this post it makes sense to me now how my appreciation for writing poetry came to be. Even though I never really appreciated my english courses in highschool, my history courses are always something I would remember. Both writing poetry and history instill, like you said, a sense of belonging and hope. Now fast forward to my college years, I surround myself with literature, and find poetry to be the most refreshing thing that I do in my past time.

    -Christian Paiz
    AWP Spring 2020

    ReplyDelete