Wednesday, April 10, 2019

What the Heck Kind of Question is That?


Image result for what kind of question is that

             
            A question, by its very nature, invites or assumes responses.  That is why questions are such powerful tools for learning and developing ideas. By asking questions, we enhance the speed, quality, and quantity of our learning.  But not all questions are alike: the better our questions, the better the answers.

            Questions are often triggered by the wh words: who, what when, where, why, and how.  Yes, and how.  Originally, how was spelled and pronounced whow.  Questions can also start with words such as do, can, are, is, were, if, and has, but, as you will soon see, questions triggered by these words do not generate quite the same quality of responses as the wh words do.

            To effectively ask and field questions, let’s distinguish several kinds:

(1) Good questions
                        (2) Key questions
                        (3) Unfair questions
                        (4) Yes/No questions
                        (5) One-answer questions
                        (6) Rhetorical questions

Good Questions

            “Why are our hearts on the left instead of the right side of our human bodies?”  “Why do supermarkets place toothbrushes at adult eye level and not alphabetize soup cans?”  “How do Christians argue for the existence of God?” “Why do some people become alcoholics?” “How can we save the ozone layer?”  “What might cure Alzheimer’s disease?” “What happened to Uncle Frank so that no one in the family talks about him?”  These are examples of good questions.  Students of language notice that good questions tend to

ü  Respond to an important human need
ü  Are focused and specific
ü  Promote thought
ü  May question popular beliefs
ü  Invite multiple, often conflicting answers
ü  Lead to other questions
ü  Suggest how they might be answered
ü  Lead to good answers
ü  Elicit an aha response
ü  May cause strong emotional responses
ü  May meet with resistance
ü  Can lead to collaborative work for answers
ü  Make us respond with “That’s a good question!”

            For example the question “How might we preserve the ozone layer?” is a good question because it responds to an important human need—to health of planet earth.  The question makes us think, has more than one answer, and leads to other questions about the environment.  The question has led to good answers by people who have collaboratively pursued answers to the question.  It isn’t a trick or unfair question.  It leads people to say, That’s a good question. Whether in a classroom, lab, conference room, assembly, or family table, good questions generate lively discussions and promote inspiring challenges.

Key Questions

            The key question driving this post is “What the heck kind of question is that?”  If we were to formulate key questions for the Bible or the Koran, they might be “Who is God?” and “How can we best serve God?”  Whether or not questions are explicitly posed by an author, as readers, formulating key questions for the text will help us to read more deeply.  For the most effective texts, the key questions are the good questions.  When the good question is not explicitly posed, here are some ways to formulate them for what we read:

ü  Posit a point of view of the author
ü  Identify a purpose for why the author might be writing
ü  Choose what seems to be an important purpose
ü  Formulate this purpose as a wh question

            As a writer, articulate your own sense of why you are writing a particular piece. Ask yourself these questions:

ü  Why am I writing this?
ü  What do I hope to discover in my writing process?
ü  Who am I addressing as my ideal reader?

I find that whenever I am at a stopping point in a particular piece of writing,
I turn my most recent sentence into a question to relaunch my flow.  So, for example, I
will turn my previous sentence into a question:  “If I come to a stopping point in a particular piece of writing, how might I relaunch my flow?”

Unfair Questions

            “Are you still beating your dog?” “What’s the difference between a duck?” “How come someone says they saw you did it?” “You don’t want another piece of my pie, do you?” “What is it like to be blown up by a bomb?”  These and other such questions are unfair because they

ü  Assume something illegitimately
ü  Are meant to trick responders
ü  Often exact only one answer
ü  May be unanswerable
ü  Antagonize and confront
ü  Lead or manipulate

          For example, the question “Are you still beating your dog?” is unfair because
it assumes that you beat your dog in the first place.  You can’t win.  If you say “Yes,” then you are admit to beating your dog.  If you say, “No,” then you still admit to having beaten your dog.  The question is confrontational and antagonistic.  In a
court of law, the opposing counsel would object that it is a “leading question.” A fairer
approach would be to first ask, “Have you ever beaten your dog?” 

            In an earlier blog, “Martha and Mary,” I had originally asked an unfair question:
“How are your teachers more Martha than Mary?”  That assumed that your teachers were more Martha and Mary.  When a responder pointed out it was a leading question, I revised it to “Are your teachers more Martha or Mary?”  
 
            Some questions might be unfair because of the context in which they are asked.
For example, it could be unfair and embarrassing to ask a person, “Is that a new hair dye?” at a formal dinner.  But it can be entirely appropriate for a hairdresser to ask this question of a client in the salon. 

            How you phrase a question is crucial.  The question “What happened to
Uncle Frank?” may be a good question, whereas “What did you do to Uncle Frank?”
is not.  The question “What’s the difference between a duck?” is nonsensical.  But when comedian Grouch Marx asks it, the question isn’t unfair—it’s funny.

Yes/No Questions

            “Is there an afterlife?” “Have you gone to the store?” “Are there moons around
Jupiter?” “Will there be enough ozone layer left at the end of the twenty-first century?” “Should there be an extra microphone for the event?” “Can you loan me some money?”  Such questions are yes/no questions because they invite just that—yes or no.  They

ü  Begin with some form of the words is, can, do, has, could/would/should,
or will
ü  Do not invite discussion or collaboration
ü  Limit the range of acceptable responses
ü  May be too general
ü  Can be unfair, given the context

One-Answer Questions

            “How much is 2 + 2 in the decimal system?” “What was the cause of the Civil
in America?” “Who is the main character in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales?” “What
is the most important trait of a responsible thinker?” “Would any sane person ever
want to kill an innocent child?”  Or, my favorite question to avoid asking students: “What is the main point of this text?” Such one-answer questions

ü  Assume there is only one right answer
ü  Occur most often in courses focused on information, not thinking
ü  Create a guessing-game atmosphere
ü  Can be satisfying to answer “right,” embarrassing to answer “wrong”
ü  May create corrosive competition
ü  May preclude questioning the question’s validity

            For example, the question “What as the cause of the Civil War in America?” assumes, by the use of the word the, that there was one and only one cause of the war.  Similarly,  the question “What is the main point?” may shut down creative and critical thinking. If the questions were posed by a teacher in a class, it could create a “guess what the teacher’s thinking” game. Some students would settle for guessing, others might compete to be the first to say.  Students who don’t want to play, might give up, feel defeated, retreat into boredom, and sneak their phones.

Rhetorical Questions

     “Would you starve the children?” “How many people lost their lives to overdose?” “What more could we have done to save them?”  Sometimes answers to such questions are meant to be so obvious—No, countless, nothing (respectively)—that the questions are not meant to be answered.  They assume a particular answer and are used to affirm agreement.

            If a question is not a request for an answer but a strategy to persuade an audience of a predictable answer and point, it is called a rhetorical question (as the word rhetorical means “meant to persuade”). Rhetorical questions

ü  State, don’t ask
ü  Are often used in rousing speeches and texts
ü  Are meant to impress
ü  Make a point without stating it
ü  Imply one acceptable answer
ü  Preclude an answer
ü  Manipulate

            Notice that context—purpose and audience—determines whether a question is rhetorical.  A villain might ask “Would you starve the children?” as a request for an accomplice to do so.  A writer seeking statistics to support an argument for research on drug-use is not merely posing a bemoaning rhetorical question when asking “How many have died in this epidemic?” A Red Cross volunteer asking, “What more could we have done to save them?” is posing a good question, not merely a rhetorical one.

Explore Questions

            In your classes, notice what kinds of questions are favored in class, and in assessment instruments such as essays and tests.  Learn to discern what the heck kinds of questions your teachers are asking and, if they are not asking good questions, how you might turn discussions to asking them, yourself.  Here are some procedures you might take:

1.     Remind yourself: The only dumb question is the one not asked.
2.     Use the wh words: Who, What, When, Where, Why, (W)how
3.     Analyze select questions by asking
a.      What the heck kind of question is this? Good, key, unfair,
            yes/no, one-answer, rhetorical, undetermined?
b.     What kind of response does this question anticipate?
c.      How could I revise this question into a good question?
4.     Formulate key questions for authors and in your own writing
5.     Practice answering anticipated questions
6.     Ask questions throughout your learning and writing process
7.     Repeat for questions in other important areas of your life: family, relationships, financial, spiritual, professional, et al.


Works Cited:


 

22 comments:

  1. Seanette Martin
    April 12, 2019
    Dr. Rich
    What the Heck Kind of Question is That?
    The question method has been a tremendous help for me through this writing process for Eng Seminar. I found myself questioning my writing because before I made my final decision to write poetry I had to ask myself why did I decide to go back to poetry when I completely scrapped it after three weeks. I have always been the type of person that wanted to write stories because I wasn’t a big fan of writing poetry I just never thought I was good at writing poems. Why did I decide to write my poems I ask myself. Well I have lost thirty pounds an I feel so great about that accomplishment and that for starters gave me all the confidence I needed to come up with a poem that hit all the key points.
    That’s just one topic though what was the push given to help me write 14 other poems. I just took in many things around me and used that to come up with my poems. I noticed in my poems that I made many points without even stating them. I will speak on my weight loss poem again because its my favorite lol. I spoke about walking with confidence and with my head held high but without stating it you can tell this woman is someone who knows her worth and carries herself that way. From here on out to help me with my writing I will always use one important question and that is “why am I writing this?”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr.Rich,Thank you for this blog.Most times I feel unsure of myself whether my question is going to make any sense so I refuse to ask.As I read the blog I am sure from now on I will have a different approach when I think of asking questions and formulate around ones that will generate responses that can continue on as a conversation piece.The blog is very helpful in showing multiple ways in which your questions can be asked.I will use these strategies to help me with asking the right questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Rich,

    Within some my classes, I find that my professors always go for “What is the main point?” and that does, in fact, shutdown creative thoughts. To be honest, I find myself cringing whenever that question is asked out loud. It makes me not want to raise my hand and answer because I feel that whatever I might say will be considered wrong.

    Unfair Questions are the questions that are most difficult to answer. If I was asked “Are you still beating your dog?” in the moment I would just say “no”. However, that would imply that I previously have done so. But after giving it much thought, I would answer that question professionally with responding with “I have never hurt or beaten a dog in my entire life and never will”. I believe that these questions are asked in order to catch someone in a trap and make them feel uncomfortable so that sabotaging that individual becomes much easier.

    With some of the good questions that were presented in the blog, it made me think about how I could improve my writing flow. That is why the sentence: “If I come to a stopping point in a particular piece of writing, how might I relaunch my flow?”, really caught my attention because it so relevant for me when I am writing. Sometimes, I become overwhelmed with certain writing assignments because I worry if I am including important ideas that my professors are looking for within my paper. I know that if I ask myself this question while writing, it can seriously assist me in maintaining my writing flow and prevent me from constantly being concerned.

    I really appreciate the way in which this blog breaks down the different types of questions that can be asked and provides information on their background. I especially liked the insight on the different methods in which they can be used in conversation.

    -Alison S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asking yourself and others questions are super important. While writing my final paper for senior seminar, I have asked myself so many questions pertaining to what I am writing. I asked myself why write about something so personal? However, I have come to learn that I don’t always have to write the way that I am forced to. I want to use my writing to not only help myself, but help others as well. I have questioned if I wanted to take the risk of sharing this story to others? This writing process has taught me so much. It has taught me how to take risks, but it is also giving me ideas to transform my writing in creative and different ways.
    There is never a thought in my mind that any type of question is a “dumb” one. Questions are there to help inform and give clarity. Therefore, ask away, always. They are there to better yourself, and you never know, someone else might have that same question to ask, so why not ask it first? Growing up, I was always afraid to speak in class. I would see people getting put down for asking questions that were “dumb.” There is no such thing! I have learned to ask away, because I might have misunderstood, while others didn’t, and that is okay.
    I really liked how you grouped and categorized these types of questions, Dr. Rich. It is organized in a way that is easy to understand. As always, I enjoyed yet another blog post that you have made. The examples that you incorporated are always helping me further understand what you are trying to convey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Rich,
    This post is so interesting to me! My attention was really drawn to the unfair questions. I recently have tried to catch myself in how I ask a question in order to make sure I am not accusing before I even allow for the person to give me a response. I feel that that’s how unfair questions work, you are implying something that may not be fully true but depending on the way the question is answered it is a lose-lose. It is definitely important to be conscious of how to ask about a situation or how you propose a question. Considering I am in college to become a teacher I feel that this post is definitely very useful for me and for when I become a teacher.
    Depending on the situation and how you ask a question I assume people will more likely to be open about their response. Where if you ask an unfair question, you are most likely going to have the responder be on the defense as opposed to feeling able to open up to you ( as the person asking the question)
    I also found that Yes/No questions are fair, but if you are trying to receive an open ended response it is best to avoid a Yes/No question. I believe that if you are looking for a particular response whether it be a simple yes or an in depth answer it helps you gage how to ask a question. Overall, I found this post super interesting and awakening!

    Kelly Fleschner

    ReplyDelete
  6. The points at the end of the post really resonated with me, especially the first point. It is a phrase I've heard many times and is such a cliche, but it so true. Often times a cliche is repeated so much because it speaks to a fundamental truth. But its ubiquity can make us overlook its truth. There have been so many instances where I’ve held back asking something because I’m afraid being judged as dumb by others, only to have that backfire. Not asking the “dumb” question has lead to even dumber mistakes that could have been avoided simply if I had asked the question in the first place.
    The second point reminds me of the many dimensions that are in question. The who: who am I asking, and why? Is this person best qualified to answer my question? Why am I asking the question? What am I confused or uncertain about? Why do these factors confuse me? Keeping these aspects in mind when asking myself something can make me more effective in real life, and as a writer. When I hit a roadblock, when I don't know what to write anymore, I can pull more meaning out of the roadblock and learn something from it. “What kind of question is this?” aligns with my fears of being judged, and can serve as a buffer for stopping myself from asking unnecessary questions that may not need to be asked to begin with, Then, I can focus my thinking energy towards more productive things.
    -Arlene Borbon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never really thought about the type of questions teachers asked us in school. However, after reading this post I can really see how crucial it is to understand the difference between the types of questions. Particularly the differences between Good Questions, Unfair Questions, and One-Answer questions.

    When it comes to school, the types of questions that were asked varied from teacher to teacher and depended on the teacher and how they chose to conduct their classroom. For instance, in my Senior English classes I remember the teacher being agreeable and flexible with class structure which allowed the students to get into in depth conversations about the book we were reading and how it could reflect society and whether or not we agreed or disagreed with the material. It classes like this one I learned a lot and felt more comfortable with asking and answering questions. There wasn’t a specific answer. However, in other classes, a large portion of the school system, the teachers would ask questions that would usually fall under the One-Answer questions. That is to say that they only have one correct answer. Part of the reason why they tended to ask these type of questions not only had to do with the curriculum of the class, but also had to do with the teacher. There would be some teachers that would ask questions that could be taken as a Good Question, one that made us think, but then if a student said something that the teacher did not agree with (but could be a possible answer) they would then give the student a disapproving look and tell them “not quite” or “no”, thus they turned what could be a good question into an unfair or one-answer question. It is in these classes in particular that stuck with me, not because of the material but because of the struggle it was to participate in the classes.
    -Anna Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandma before she passed constantly told me that I asked too many questions.I guess she was annoyed with the fact that she was caring for four grandkids without any alone time.So,I understand her point now as an adult,but then I am not so sure I understood.I was super busy growing up experimenting and trying to do things differently.In retrospect I was curious and carried much of that curiosity in my adult life and feel that I the audacity to question my spouse.
    But questions are important to me learning and so I ask them and not worry about whether they make sense or not to others.I am not sure that there is a dumb question,I have never heard one that is the reason I tell my children everyday never be afraid to ask them.
    Thanks for the advice on how to ask, so as to get specific responses and formulate good questions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Often I do catch myself ask professors questions, over and over and over again. I get scared of not being right or doing something wrong. I hate feeling like I don’t know what is going on so I start to ask a lot of questions. I get frustrated with myself because at times I feel like i'm stupid for even asking certains questions because it is something that I should know already. Most of the time when I even do decide to ask questions my professors tend to try to brush me off and just give me one words answers just to try to get it over with so they don’t have to deal with it. Most professors I have asked for some help and they just say “ask a classmate” or “look for it in your notes” instead of willingly trying to help me so I don’t fall behind, it just ends up making me feel overwhelmed, drained, and over it. I even dread going to certain classes now. Being in your class, Dr. Rich it has helped me stay sane aside from all my other classes. I actually look forward to going to our classes. It is soothing and relaxing to be in after a long and stressful day. As a class we are always able to ask you any kind of questions and you are always willing to help us with whatever we throw at you, you’re always there and helpful. Which is why you’re the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Rich,
    Of all the courses I have taken over the years most teachers fall under the category of “one answer questions”. I love your openness to let us explore our readings and thoughts so that you can learn from our ideas as well. It’s a pleasant change to have a professor who is happy and above all willing to let us interpret our readings our way without embarrassing us. The key questions that you ask us to get our juices flowing are great for class discussions and papers.

    The way the questions and reasonings to them help us understand how our questions may not always be the best choice. It shows how narrow we can be and what we expect the answer to be. Sometimes our questions have no depth and no growth in them and this blog can help us distinguish what type of question should be asked rather than just asking for the sake of having something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a college student, I was really drawn to this particular post What the Heck Kind of Question is That? Because the whole topic of asking questions in classes terrify me. When I’m in class and the teacher/professor asks questions, I’m always afraid to raise my hand and answer the question due to the fear of being wrong. I am also scared to ask certain questions in class because I feel as if it’s coming off as a dumb question. In reading this blogpost, I found it very interesting how you broke down the several kinds of questions and really went into depth with each of them. With asking a good question you’re responding to an important human need or promoting thought. In asking a good question, you can lead the class or teacher to a lively discussion and promote learning and challenges. I will now try my best to either ask a good question or answer a good question, instead of not asking or answering anything at all. In not answering teachers’ questions, it doesn’t promote my learning and in not asking questions, it doesn’t help with what I need answered. I’ve come to realize that asking questions is a very important part of the learning process involving our education because the teacher isn’t and shouldn’t be the only person with a question. In answering teachers’ questions, it not only shows that we comprehend what is being discussed in class, but it also shows that we’re following along in class. I feel as if the most difficult questions to answer are unfair questions, because it depends on how the question is being asked in that moment and how we respond. I feel as if unfair questions can also be known in a way as trap questions. In now reading this blog, which broke down the different kinds of questions, I know now how to ask and answer these certain questions. I will definitely be using these methods in the future and will try my best to start asking and answering more questions in class. In doing so, it will only benefit myself and my education in the long run.
    - Kelci Neto

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading this blog post, I started to think about how crucial it is to ask questions and the importance of how you word the questions you ask. As a student in order to gain knowledge you should be asking questions during class time. Whether it be something you are confused about or something you would like to know more about, there is a specific way to phrase your questions. If you miss a word in phrasing your question, it can completely change the meaning of the question you are trying to ask. It’s like a text message. If I text someone “Are we together?” versus “Are we going together?”, both have two completely different responses. The answers change depending on who you are talking to as well. It is important to ask good questions and not use them as trap to use on others. Questions should be used wisely and for educational purposes. I recall a time during class where a student asked Dr. Rich a question and then added “I don’t know.” Dr.Rich prohibits us from using this phrase because we do know. It is just our questions that need adjusting and some answers. I have always been a fan of the saying “no question is a dumb question” simply because some students are just looking to learn new things they may not know a lot about. Although, it is crucial that when asking a question we use the correct words to phrase it. Forming a correct question will more likely get in-depth answers which can form a rich discussion within the whole class. I appreciate the examples provided in this specific blog post of what a good question looks like and how Dr. Rich showed us that incorrectly phrasing a question can make it seem like you are assuming.

    - Ashley Cisneros

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dr. Rich,

    This blog post, along with a few others, is one that speaks to me. I find myself often holding back my questions because I do not think that they're "good" questions. Everyone says there is no such thing as a stupid question but a lot of the times, I don't ask mine because of the fear that it is, in fact, a stupid question. This post has really helped me understand the differences between types of questions. It's helped me to formulate questions in ways that will get me an answer and also to formulate my questions in a way that no one will laugh at. Thank you for that!
    Andrea Piaggio

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have noticed in college that a lot of professors are not big on students asking questions. They want to tell us something once and move on from it. No real professor wants to actually digest and elaborate on a topic if a student is confused. And if they do actually break down the question or statement asked by the student you can tell their answer is a bit edgy. Dr. Rich’s class taught me the difference between different kinds of questions like listed above. She always made her classroom very open to questions and helping people understand what we are learning in our own way.
    These type of questions not only can help us write a paper, but in everyday life. Conversations on the phone, text, in person we are constantly using all these types of questions and giving response sometimes even with more questions. Questions helps us find out information or think critically on a topic. Questions are extremely important to help digest what we want to get on paper. I know when I take my Senior Seminar Class I am going to look back on this blog to help me with my paper. Not only can these questions help me understand my topic, but to push forward with what I am writing and be able to expand on my opinion and horizons of the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As I am now in my junior year of my undergrad, I can reflect back and view that I was and still am the student that always had a list of questions to ask my professors. I always hope that professors would provide an assignment sheet explaining what they wanted. It may have been a reach, but I even hoped for examples of previous works by students for the same assignment. I longed for this because when given an assignment I never comprehended what was being asked of me as I believed my professors failed to thoroughly explain the directions. Due to this, I always found my myself staying after class, or even emailing my professor late at night, to ask various questions. Unfortunately, I rarely received the answers that would assist me in completing the assignment. After reading the blog post, I now comprehend that there are several kinds of questions to effectively ask when looking for a quality answer. I never thought to ask a question with a wh word. Reflecting back, I frequently asked questions that started with “do” or “can” which were the wrong questions which explains why I never received the answers I wanted. On the contrary, I find that asking myself questions that start with wh will assist me in writing papers as well. I took a liking towards the idea of turning sentences in my writing into a question, therefore, it will permit me to regain focus and continue the flow of my paper.

    Bailey Vick

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dr. Rich,

    First, thank you for another wonderful blog post. Similarly to how I have previously answered a few other blog posts, this post applies to not only college students, but middle school students and high school students as well. It has nothing to do with the fact that students are hard on themselves. There are still students (like me) who are hard on themselves. Harder than they should be in fact, and that is not something that I am proud of. I would rather be hard on myself, (go hard and play harder) than be lazy and not give my full potential. Although, the word lazy is a bit of an understatement if I am being absolutely, one hundred percent honest. Getting back to types of questions - should students be asking themselves - how can I be a better student to understand the questions that are being asked? Even if these presented questions, do not make sense to me? Should students be asking themselves (not necessarily out loud but in their heads perhaps) how am I perceiving this question versus how is the person asking the question perceiving the prompt leading up to the question? When it all boils down to the nitty gritty, life is all about perception. Questions - even before they are asked are all about perception. For instance, I ask questions (about the same topic) differently than my brother would ask a question. This is because we view and perceive life, and that is okay. Actually, it is more than okay because the answers that others give when asked these questions are what makes life modern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Dr. Rich,
    I found how you brock questions down into six different categories to be very interesting and thorough. I had never thought about what makes a question good before but form reading the list of characteristics you gave I know that we have all had practice asking and answering good questions in your class. I plan to try to be mindful of asking good questions in my other future classes. For the key questions I do follow the first list by positing a point of view of the author, identifying a purpose for why the author might be writing, choosing what seems to be an important purpose, and formulating this purpose as a wh question. I however tend to leave myself out of my papers so I often do not follow the second list of asking myself, why am I writing this, what do I hope to discover in my writing process, and who am I addressing as my ideal reader? I will try to make sure my questions are fair in the future. The yes/no answer can also be phrased as the dreaded true/false question on exams. I hate these questions because I always believe they are trying to trick you on the tiniest detail. I especial loth the true/false questions that have the first part of the question be correct and then have the second half be wrong so that the question is false even though it did have correct information in it. I feel like I should not be penalized for missing one small detail. I did not think one-answer questions could discourage students, but I see now that they can.
    By: Kathleen Conaty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dr. Rich,
    It’s truly great that you wrote this blog for us! Fun fact: I had a professor once that scared me out of asking questions. It was for a biology class back when I was originally a nursing major, and this professor was terrifying. Students would ask questions, since the class was tough, and he would flat out tell us, “That’s a stupid question. Weren’t you paying attention?!” The way in which he’d respond was so rude and nasty. These instances would terrify me to not ask any questions at all if I was struggling in his class. As tests rolled around and we all failed, he would get pissed at us for failing; meanwhile, he wouldn’t allow us to feel comfortable enough to ask questions or for help period. This truly set the mood for the rest of my semesters. I would feel nervous in asking questions because I didn’t want to be told they were stupid or be made out to feel stupid. I truly thank you for breaking down this blog in the way in which you did, Dr. Rich. It definitely made me feel more at ease when it comes to asking questions!
    --Angie Ulloa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Questions are so important in assessment. The whole point of an assessment is to figure out what the students know and what they still need help with. So the type of questions that you ask can not be unfair or yes no questions. I find that I can tell is I know morale about a topic if I am asked a "good" question meaning a question that can not be answered by one word or by multiple choose. It's an open ended question that can be answered thoroughly in multiple sentences. I also believe these questions should be asked in the classroom during lessons because they promote brain storming not just a yes or no answer that students can copy off each other. If you teach a lesson with these questions you will get students more intrigued in the topic and have a better gauge on which students are still struggling. Roll call questions are work in the moment but they will not help student remember this topic in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This blog post has opened my eyes to a subject that I do not think about often: Questions. There are all different types of questions, as you have stated in this post. The job of a question is to invite a response. Asking questions has become a part of my daily life, so I have not put much thought process into the different forms of them. All of my questions have always been good questions! Right? Wrong.. As humans we all hope to ask the correct questions during our interactions. These “good” questions can include responding to important human needs, very specific, promote thought, invite multiple, often conflicting answers, and much more examples of what you have given in this post. The one form of questions that you have discussed have actually opened my eyes. The unfair questions we may ask without even realizing it. They way questions are phrased as well as the context they are in is extremely crucial in the difference between asking a good question or an unfair question. It is important to not ask questions that aren’t legitimate, usually provoke only one answer, or manipulate. This type of question can also relate to yes or no questions. I remember in one of my public speaking courses, we were informed to never ask yes or no questions to the audience. These type of questions that may be too general, or unfair may not invite a discussion on the topic you are discussing. After reading this post I feel that I will question..(haha) the way I ask my questions daily! It is important for me to remember to leave open ended questions and not manipulate or ask unrealistic questions for my peers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I once had a teacher that would constantly tell us not to ask stupid questions. It made me nervous and stressed me put because if my question was so stupid then why did I not know the answer? It put me into a habit of never asking questions and constantly wondering what was going on. I would just write down my question than ask after class or one of my friends to escape the embarrassment. Then my boyfriend said to me who cares if someone thinks your question is stupid? It is all about learning and if you need to ask more questions than others who cares you'll probably get better grades if you ask more. I forced myself out of my scared corner and spoke up. I also notice a lot of students have the habit of asking if they can ask a question and ironically I have heard teachers say no and to save them for the end of class and by then the student had forgotten and was lost in the whole lesson. In questions we better our learning. In reading this blog post I learned that there are several types of questions which I never even thought about until now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a scary question to ask because the answer itself may be something that I don't want to hear. Why am I constantly consuming slices of bread right before I go to sleep? Why is my phone the first thing I go to in the morning? I never really focused on the 'why' aspect of my actions and just mindlessly let them guide me to do whatever they liked. When you mentioned that we allow these things to take control of us, rather than us making a conscious decision to do these things, it made me think of what else I'm allowing to control my life. How boredom is something the media preys upon. Creating things that can fill up the boredom and I allow it to happen. It's a frightening thing to realize because then I have to focus and pay attention to what I allow myself to do and how it might affect my productivity, positively or negatively. Yet this awareness allows me to have a better grip on my life and what I permit to enter it.

    ReplyDelete