Monday, February 3, 2020

The Dunno Effect: What "I Don't Know" Means

                      

             I don’t know, Marion says…and says…although it is clear to me that she knows what she is saying.  I interrupt at the next I dunno to say: “Yes, you do.”  Marion looks surprised and then smiles.  I’m right. This hiccupping of the phrase I dunno happens so frequently in classes, that I wonder at the causes and the effects of constantly repeating “I don’t know.”

            Just as with “I’m sorry,” there is a continuum of what “I don’t know” means and when it is appropriate and functional:

Hiccupping   I don’t matter    Don’t hurt me   I’m sorry to assert myself   I’m devoted to truth

            Let’s start at the right end of the spectrum.  You’re on a witness stand in a court of law.  The attorney asks, “Was this the woman you saw picking up the gun?”  You’re not sure.  So, you say “I don’t know.” Someone’s life is in the balance.  If you’re not sure. That is the responsible thing to say.

            Or you’re doing an experiment in a lab, and the supervisor asks for results: “Is the bacterium toxic?”  Your trials are uncertain, so you say “I don’t know.”

            Or a student in class asks me how Anne Hathaway felt about her husband, William Shakespeare.  I can theorize to cover my ignorance (if I’m playing at being the all-knowing professor), or I can be honest and say, “I don’t know. Here are some historical opinions that might be helpful to you.”

            Some things are unknowable. According to the dialog Plato wrote in Socrates’s voice on knowing, Theaetetus, knowledge is belief supported by evidence.  The philosophy and study of knowledge and the process of knowing is called “epistemology.”  And epistemic stance is a person’s point of view on what’s knowable.  To say “I don’t know” on the right end of the spectrum is to say “I don’t have enough experience or evidence to say.”

            My suspicion is that people develop the habit of saying “I don’t know” on the other side of spectrum, hiccupping, because they have too long been in an environment where others practice dominance over what is knowable and worth knowing.  Whether for virtuous reasons or because of ego insecurities, teachers too often take this position of omniscience—“I’m the one who knows.  You are to know what I know and how I know it.” They confuse what is knowable—did this beaker overflow, do 2 and 2 in the decimal system equal 10—and what is not knowable—what Shakespeare meant, who’s right, what will happen.  As the blog post on Purposes for Education explores, there are different epistemic modes that must be made explicit.

Exposed to teachers who assume an inaccurate epistemic stance as to what is knowable—day after day after week after month after year after decade—students may, in response, develop the habit of hiccupping “I don’t know”—so punctuating their discourse, that it’s a surprise if they ever come to develop appreciation for and confidence in their own individual epistemic stances—their own ways of knowing.  The I dunnos tend to be delivered in a whiny tone that also implies, Please don’t hurt me for my point of view. I don’t mean to be disrespectful to your all-knowingness. I don’t matter.  Please may I matter.

It’s no surprise that the sentence I don’t know is often accompanied by a shrug of the shoulders, as Harry does in the cover meme above.  That gesture is a defensive, protective one—as for an anticipated attack: shrinking the head into the body, retreating, covering the ears.  Retracting the head, like a turtle, into the protective shell of what one does know.

The other extreme from shoulder-shrugging defensiveness, is chest-puffing offense, as diagrammed in this continuum:

I know nothing                                        I know some things                                     I know it all

Perhaps I dunno hiccuppers have a sense of humility.  They don’t want to be like those know-it-alls who annoy us with their arrogance; who want to dominate by claiming that what they believe they know is knowable and therefore true.  But know-it-alls practice as much ignorance about their own epistemic integrity as hiccuppers.

What we say about ourselves become instructions to how our minds and bodies function. As always, education, as Socrates described in another Plato dialog, The Republic, is being brought out of the cave of ignorance into the light.  Listen for I dunnos—others’ and your own.  Listen for brave and honest I don’t knows. Eliminate the hiccup.  Embrace the search for truth that starts with I don’t know, for real.

Works Cited:


Texts:

Plato and Ed. John M. Cooper and D. S. Hutchinson. The Republic. Plato: Complete Works.
            Indianapolis: Hackett, 1997.

---. Theaetetus. Plato and Ed. John M. Cooper and D. S. Hutchinson. Plato: Complete Works.
            Indianapolis: Hackett, 1997.

Because I Can Teach:





6 comments:

  1. I found this very interesting to read because the “I don’t know” effect is a widely spread epidemic that I find myself saying occasionally. However, I don’t know for me personally can fall onto either side of the spectrum. There are times where the teacher imposes a question and it may come off as confusing. I may need time to gather my thoughts and figure out what it is exactly that I would like to be expressed, if anything. Therefore, my “I don’t know” response would fall under the “I know nothing” spectrum. It’s better for things to be explained or for me to hear other interpretations.
    However, there are other times where my “I don’t know” response is similar to that of a hiccup. There are times when teachers ask a question or ask something personal that I would like to answer. Sometimes, I feel very eager to answer and share my thoughts with the class. I’ll raise my hand and so will another student, who might be called upon before me. After listening to their response, my response may not match up. That causes me to believe my interpretation is incorrect and should not be shared. There are other times where I find myself having an idea in my head but too afraid to answer first. The idea of being wrong or saying something incorrect is frightening. No one wants to be judged by others and I feel that is a huge factor as to why many people stick to “I don’t know”. It’s almost like a safety blanket.
    By: Caroline Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no intention of responding to the blog post, but what caught my eye was young Harry Potter (in a horrible British accent) shrugging. After chuckling over the GIF, I read the title and I became strongly interested. I'm a victim of the "I dunno" effect. I try to stay clear of the phrase, but sometimes it takes over me and my mouth blurs it out. It could be more of an anxious thing I do when I've been put on the spot or honestly, I really don't know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a student we all face the word I don’t know very commonly. This blogpost covers the famous word used by all of us. It is also very important how you use the word because it can affect someone’s life or it may cause something to happen. It is okay to not know some things because of both experience and evidence both being low on the topic being covered. She uses the example of how the teacher knows everything and how the student is supposed to know what the teacher knows. I as a student don’t know everything my teachers know but I retain most of the information given to me. Many ways of saying I don't know are viewed differently because of the tone used. This journal mainly covers the word use of I don't know and how many students like myself sometimes use the word as a safety blanket or a quick way to make the professor stop asking questions. I myself always have an opinion for everything but I often hear my fellow classmates first before I state my opinion. If my opinion is said better or my opinion is not relevant I often stay to myself and I use the word I don’t know.

    Joseph Menocal
    ENG 3215 04

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did you smack Joseph in the face?
    I dunno.
    Why didn’t you do your homework last night?
    I dunno.
    Why do you like school?
    I dunno.
    That phrase drives me wild because all I can do is think of my students? The I dunno is like that automatic message you get right after you apply for a job; routined, systematic, auto use. Is that what are coping mechanism responses are? What happened to the day of age of truth responses, or at least a rebuttal to back up the lack of information. Now that I am thinking about it, I am going have my students give me an explanation behind why they dunno! Lets see where this exercise leads me…

    Patricia D. AWP 5000

    ReplyDelete
  5. The “I don’t know”, “I dunno”. Honestly can say I am guilty as charged od overusing that phrase. All because I not confident of my honest answer, fear of the feedback and judgment I might get. “I don’t know” is a safe place word to go to. “I don’t know is no confront of any question or statement/ discussion. I use I when I don’t want to be judge on my answer/response. All because I am not confident. I have told myself be honest and state your opinion, other might relate and agree, some may not but that is because everyone has their opinions and differences. Just be truthful.

    Jessica M.
    AWP 4000

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have definitely fell victim to the “Dunno” effect. But in some cases, I feel like it's appropriate to not know. For instance, say you're asked a question about something you're genuinely curious about. You aren’t going to pretend to know the answer, so you respond “I don't know”, and follow it up with a “maybe” or “but” so that you can take a guess. Chances are the person asking the question has a response, and will provide you with the right answer, but engaging in the conversation further with a guess I feel is appropriate in a lot of cases. And more often than not, if you're having a meaningful conversation, where the subject matter is something you have a brief understanding of, your guess can actually turn out to be the right answer. But saying “I don't know” creates somewhat of a safety net for you to guess wrong. I don’t like to pretend like I know the answer to something, and make myself out to be an individual who knows all. So I find myself saying “I don't know” a lot, but I always try to extend the statement further, for the sake of maintaining genuine conversation. Although, if it's a conversation I’m not then into, or some random individual walks up to me with a question I have no concern over, I might just say “I don't know” and change the subject, or just walk away.

    -Christian Paiz
    AWP Spring 2020

    ReplyDelete