Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Journal for Authenticity: (1) Settling Down



            I faithfully write three daily composition-book pages, mostly in the mornings.  In the past five years, I have missed only eight days.  Most of us start a diary or journal, and then abandon it after the novelty wears off.  What’s happens?  In reflecting on what makes a satisfying entry and what does not, I find Abraham Maslow’s Pyramid of Needs nurtures my process.  Just as I adapted his pyramid to an earlier blog, Teaching from the Heart Up¸ I have adapted it specifically for journal writing.  In this series of posts, "Journal for Authenticity," we will use this model to explore various aspects of daily writing.

            The bottom-most level on the pyramid is anger, fear, survival—being on the run.  It’s hard to settle into write if that’s where I’m living at the moment.  So, over the past five years, I’ve developed certain comforting, stabilizing routines to slow me down.   I gather myself up to write by creating constants, which trigger my writing muscles.

            First, I only write in composition books.  Ditzing myself over deciding what’s next, and holding off before I mark the perfect first page of an expensive book—and thus “ruining” it—is another way to avoid myself. Composition books are available, have the aura of something lasting and faithful, and are available everywhere—from stationery stores to supermarkets, to drugstores, to bookstores, and, of course, online. I even find them at convenience stores and gas stations.

There’s the traditional marble cover—now in a rainbow of colors—or more jazzy variations—wallpaper designs, glitter, fabric. With the same 9-3/4X 7-1/2 format, my journals line up nicely on my shelves. I may experiment with wide rule, college ruled, even graph paper—but always I write 100 lines, which varies the number of pages. I’m mostly a college-ruled comp. person, 3-pages each day. No more monkeying around, as they say, with journal hunting.

            Next, I use the same pen—a PILOT G-2 07, bold tip, blue ink. I buy boxes of refills, and love the texture of my written pages, which ripple under my fingers because of the generosity of the ink.

            Three, Where and when is another issue for journal writing—the point is to be steady, but flexible.  With long commitment, I have settled into a certain place in the living room.  Just sitting there gets me focused. It feels like coming home to settle in. On some days, I write while my husband drives.  On others, as when he was spending long weeks in rehab, I wrote while he slept in his hospital bed.  When we’re on vacation, I might perch, cross-legged on the beach at dawn, or next to waterfall. My daily commitment is not negotiable.  That’s why I’ve only missed eight days in 1,675.

            Blank page?  No problem.  I have developed a routine to smirch up that clean, intimidating first page—start date for that book.  (I usually need a new book every two months).  The first thing I do with the clean new page is head my entry in a certain way, as for example, here:

                                     30º   7:01A  LRCL Gray Skies 1.24.20 péntek  Light



Recording the outside temperature; the time; where I’m sitting (LRCL=Living Room Couch left); the weather; the date; day of the week (I’m teaching myself the days of the week in different languages, péntek is Friday in Hungarian); and my Angel for the day (see Angel Cards: Spells and Incantations), is a ritual that helps me settle in for my daily Musings—along with my PILOT G-2 07 Bold, blue-ink pen. Such rituals create focus and a safe, predictable space.

I sometimes describe my current surroundings—

                          Comp book resting on a mermaid pillow. Mort stirring scrambled eggs in a pan.

Or current state—

                                                         Insomnia again.  Sinus-y. Dizzy.

            What rituals and routines might you devise to stop running and settle down to a daily journal? 

            What’s your blank page?

            What’s your book?

            What is your writing instrument?

            Where will you write?

            How will you head each entry?


7 comments:

  1. Hi Professor Rich,

    After being reintroduced to journaling, I’ve learned to incorporate it in the way it best fits me. Usually, mornings are tough for me just because I’m usually running around -- to work, classes, or even just errands -- and I usually do not have time enough for myself. Even on the mornings where I do not physically have to leave the house, I can promise you it is still hectic. My family and I have 15 birds; the number used to be 16, but unfortunately, our parakeet passed away a few months ago. Out of the 15, six of them are hand-raised and house-trained; meaning, they are free to roam the house, fly around, and nest wherever they please. We usually take them out of their cages in the morning and put them back in the afternoon, right before we start cooking. So, my mornings are spent chasing them around, making sure they do not hurt themselves and cleaning their cages. The only time I can really dedicate to myself is evening time, and I’ve realized that it will probably be the most beneficial -- for not only my soul but my writing-- if I include it in my nighttime self-care routine.

    Usually, when I start writing in my journal, I’m in bed with a face mask on and my favorite Bollywood songs are playing in the background. Of course, it’s important to include the date and day in the heading, but I also include something inspirational. As I’ve mentioned previously, I have Generalized Anxiety Disorders and some days can be worse than others, so to always stay motivated, I like to have an uplifting phrase in the header. For example:

    January 28th, 2020, Tuesday
    -- You are far greater and worthier than you give yourself credit for --

    Just because pink is a cheery color -- my favorite!-- and it makes me excited to write, I work with a Pink Muji pen every time. To be completely honest, I’m not as keen on using a Muji brand pen as I am on using the color pink. Once the header is written, I start the actual journal entry by narrating my surroundings --- as I’ve mentioned, usually in my room and in my bed-- and I just transition to the actual subject matter of that day.

    -- Rabia A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been quite some time since I journaled. I probably haven't done it since elementary school. Doing it now after all this time has me nostalgic and wondering what I wrote on those pages so long ago. I can only imagine they were similar to that of a diary, as I find myself doing again with my current journaling. I find the blank page and blue line dizzying as I sit at my desk wondering what's worthy to confess in the journal. As the lofi hip hop beats fill the noise in my mind I just wait for that smooth song transition and begin to scribble into my book. The blue ink from my pen blends with the blue lines that urge me to write in a straight line and stay coherent. I generally head my page with something relevant, though it doesn't always set the tone of what the rest of my page will filled with. Sometimes it's my horoscope, maybe it’s a news headline or even an emotion I am feeling in that moment. I don't like the idea of heading my page with similar ideas as the day before or keeping it to a strict mode. Instead I like to title my new entries with whatever I feel holds importance to myself during that particular day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my week of writing at least one page a day since last Thursday, I have found that it collects my thoughts and sets me at ease for the rest of my day. I particularly enjoyed writing on the train during my commute to school. I think taking up the habit of writing in the morning will be effective and maybe sticking to a style of writing. I’ve found that depending on my mood, Id write small, bubbly, or even in cursive. I haven’t decided if I want to be spontaneous or uniform but the more I write, the clearer it will become. I’ve only written the date of the day to start off my writing but I want to write more, maybe give each entry its own title after I’ve written it, like I did with my first entry. A composition book is easy, but for me familiar in an unpleasant way as it reminds me heavily of my catholic school days, so after I’ve filled this one, I’ll buy another as I do wish to continue this tradition of every day journal writing. At first I began wiring with a ball point pen which I’ve come to dislike, because I didn’t have another pen but using my own special pen, one from muji, 0.5 black ink glides so smoothly and honestly it’s therapeutic. Creating this routine has also allowed me to think more about writing and who I am as a writer.
    -Daiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. When first being assigned to write in a journal seven days a week, I was excited, yet overwhelmed. It seems as though it is this huge commitment that I have never actually made myself come to terms with. The funny thing is, it really is not as difficult as I had imagined. I always tell myself how busy I am, or how tired I am, when in reality, I am escaping from doing productive things out of laziness. I've struggled with this thought for years now...always thinking I’m so damn busy. Once it turned 2020, I had the intuition that this was my year. (Yes I know everyone says that, but I was serious!) I started eating healthier and working out. Believe me, this was not easy and still is not easy! But I found a way to make it work. Every night around 7 o'clock, my fiance and I find time to work out together in the house. We have weights, watch work out videos, and do certain workouts together to keep each other motivated. I'm actually satisfied with the way we’ve been doing things because their are positive results. This relates to journaling every day. Once I started to become used to it the past week, I’ve realized that it has improved my creative process and writing in many ways! It also serves as a coping mechanism for stressful things going on in my life. Either way, I carry around my journal everywhere just in case something sparks up and I’m in the mood to write.

    The college composition book you distributed to us in class reminded me of when I was in middle school. I used these things for everything! I think it's the perfect amount of space for writing and not too many distractions of those loose ends and easy ways to rip out the pages. (Yes, I think of those things!) The pen I use is called Bic Round Stic M, and it is black. For some reason blue pens become too distracting for me, so I’ve always used a black pen. I ALWAYS write my journals in script as well. Being that I went to Catholic school, we HAD to write in script for all of our papers or points would be taken off! So this type of handwriting has always stuck with me. I tend to write at home sitting at my computer desk. This rooms brings comfort to me where I can play my relaxing music and sit in my comfortable chair. This is where I complete most of my best work. Overall, I believe writing in my journal everyday will help me discover myself as a writer and will open doors to creativity. This is a journey I am excited to travel on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #71 Journal for Authenticity: (1) Settling Down
    Journaling is something very new to me. I have always tried, and I would get three days in and forget about it. To be honest, I did forget the first two days for my journal in Dr. Rich's class; I just made up the pages when I finally remembered. I had trouble thinking about what to write about. It would usually start off with my day and then go on to the thousands of other things in my head. I think the pyramid is a great thing to look at when you're first starting off, and it gives your ideas of what you can simply write about. One thing I noticed is after I start writing it just flows. Sometimes I have trouble thinking of something to talk about, but once my pen hits the paper, even if it's writing about nothing, I eventually fill my pages with thoughts that linger in the back of my mind. I do agree with having that perfect pen I have just yet to find one for myself. I lately have been sitting in class or heard something and thought, "I want to write that in my journal," and I end up forgetting what it was. I need to get in the habit of writing things down and carrying that small notebook. I'm happy I was assigned to start journaling. I think it will help my mental, and at the end of the day, it just feels good to let things out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Settling down as a mother of two is like a unicorn. It’s a magical creature, but doesn’t exist. I attempt to settle down before bed just like my children, but it never seems to be that easy. The moment I get them both down for bed, I notice that multiple things I still need to be done for the clock strikes midnight. During that time, I’m rushing around the house trying to get everything completed. Cleaning up the kitchen, picking up the toys in the living room, putting away the laundry, putting in a new load of laundry….waiting for that load to dry so it can be folded and put away, etc. By the time I finish everything, it’s a little past midnight and the moment my head hits the pillow, I’m out like a light bulb.

    Going forward, I’m going to give myself a set time to settle down, just like my kids. After they are put to sleep, I’ll get into my jammies, pour myself a hot cup of tea and have a minute to myself and think about any possible ideas that come my way and right them down….only fifteen minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This past week, we discussed Hirshfield's 'Nine Gates', purpose for Silence, Exile, Cunning. The point of this action, is to silence (hush) everything going on, including the chaos in your head, to relax. By silencing the chaos within ourselves, we need to make time to separate from our rambunctious routine. It doesn’t have to be long. For many people this will be a challenge but start with 15-30 and then work your way (if possible) to an hour. After the silence and exile, which is practically time by yourself and for yourself, you will eventually return to your chaotic life with a refreshed perspective. The purpose is to stop chaos or the hectic life but to know you can somewhat control you within that world.

    There is a poem my grandmother introduced me to when I was losing my mind during my undergrad years. I am not religious but I grew to recognize and learn the point of this poem.

    Serenity Prayer – Full Version (composed in 1940s)

    God grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world As it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right If I surrender to His Will; So that I may be reasonably happy in this life And supremely happy with Him Forever and ever in the next. Amen.


    This week our spring break begins along with our 7 Day Writing Poetry Challenge.. I was supposed to respond to this post weeks ago but nothing happens before it's time, right? Here’s a thought, I will create some time to settle down every day for my writing challenge and also use Hirshfield’s S.E.C approach. I realize it doesn't have to be a long weekend because I have a lot of homework to do. Therefore, my goal is to do something different everyday to recharge myself. It is good exercise for the mind, body and soul.

    Meagan AWP 5000

    ReplyDelete